» Covid-19 - Surveyors as an essential service Important Information

As per the information released by the Alberta Government and Alberta Land Surveyors Association, Surveyors are considered an essential Service. Alberta Land Surveyors, such as those at Axiom Geomatics, continue to be available to safely complete Real Property Reports (RPR) for Real Estate transactions. Although most work performed by surveyors is unaffected by the pandemic situation some modifications to our processes were inevitable. The biggest change relates to surveying the common wall, often called a party wall, between duplexes and row homes. Previously this common wall location would have been surveyed, however given the current health concerns we will not be entering people's houses. The location of this wall will be estimated from the outside and a note to this effect will be placed on the Real Property Report.

These are challenging times for everyone, Axiom Geomatics is doing its part to serve all Albertans during this difficult time. It is also expected that there will be changes to the process for submitting the Real Property Reports to municipalities, we will keep you updated on these changes as we learn about them.If you have any questions or concerns about your RPR please feel free to reach out .

Alberta Toll-Free 1-877-305-0380
Red Deer 587-318-3444
Calgary 587-315-5007

Lot Grading Surveys & Certificates Calgary & Area

A Lot Grading Survey is a type of municipal survey that shows the predominant drainage pattern of the parcel. This survey should be completed after the house/garage/structure is built and landscaping has been completed.

To meet local Plot Plan requirements the water must drain away from the building on all sides. If it does not the builder/landscaper will be required to perform remedial work.

After the survey is complete, and when all water drains away from the property, an Alberta Land Surveyor at Axiom Geomatics can issue a Lot Grading Certificate, these are frequently required by municipalities and insurance companies.


Do I need a Lot Grading Certificate?

This requirement varies by municipality and also within the municipality, e.g. in the City of Calgary only new developments require a Lot Grading Certificate.

What if the water drains away from my property, but not in the direction of the Plot Plan?

Usually this isn't a problem as the primary concern is for water to move away from the structure, thus protecting the property. There are a few occasions where this is not suitable and remediation work will be required. This varies on a case-by-case basis.