» Covid-19 - Surveyors as an essential service Important Information

As per the information released by the Alberta Government and Alberta Land Surveyors Association, Surveyors are considered an essential Service. Alberta Land Surveyors, such as those at Axiom Geomatics, continue to be available to safely complete Real Property Reports (RPR) for Real Estate transactions. Although most work performed by surveyors is unaffected by the pandemic situation some modifications to our processes were inevitable. The biggest change relates to surveying the common wall, often called a party wall, between duplexes and row homes. Previously this common wall location would have been surveyed, however given the current health concerns we will not be entering people's houses. The location of this wall will be estimated from the outside and a note to this effect will be placed on the Real Property Report.

These are challenging times for everyone, Axiom Geomatics is doing its part to serve all Albertans during this difficult time. It is also expected that there will be changes to the process for submitting the Real Property Reports to municipalities, we will keep you updated on these changes as we learn about them.If you have any questions or concerns about your RPR please feel free to reach out .

Alberta Toll-Free 1-877-305-0380
Red Deer 587-318-3444
Calgary 587-315-5007

House Stakeouts Calgary & Area

A House/Garage/Condo Stakeout involves the accurate placement of colored construction stakes (survey markers) according to the municipal-approved Plot Plan so that the excavation service knows exactly where and how deep to dig the basement.

A Stakeout is the immediate precursor to breaking ground on a construction project such as your new home/garage/condo/driveway/etc…

Having an Alberta Land Surveyor layout where your new structure will be has the benefit of starting the actual construction phase of your project off on a path for success. The alternative may be expensive: possible errors include having to demolish a (partially-built or complete) structure to be compliant with by-laws, intrusion upon utility right-of-ways and the cost of additional surveys and easements.


Does a Surveyor need to pin footings/walls?

Possibly not. If the structure being built is simple (e.g. 6 or fewer right-angle corners) than the cribber may be able to layout the foundation from the Surveyor's existing marks. For complex structures (those with 8+ corners or non-right-angle corners) a Surveyor should be the person ensuring the foundation's accuracy.

Do I need an certified Alberta Land Surveyor to perform the stakeout?

As buildings are located in relation to property lines, only an Alberta Land Surveyor may undertake this work in Alberta.